DKV health insurance is highly regarded by its customers and often takes top spots of customer satisfaction surveys in Spain. DKV is present in Spain since 1998. However, it is a German insurance company, with a history of more than 130 years. DKV offers insurance in the fields of Health, Dental, Accident, Life, Home and Burial insurances.
Highest standard health insurance for affordable price. Choose the best medical plan for Expats in Spain
DKV is the first Spanish insurer to have obtained the certificate of Ethical and Socially Responsible Management according to the SGE21 Standard and the Ethsi seal (Ethical and Solidarity based Insurance). Among the projects they carry out are the DKV Integralia Foundation and the Clear Language Project. DKV Seguros Médicos is part of Munich Health, the international health division of the Munich Re group, and has a presence throughout the national territory, with almost 2,000 employees who serve nearly 2 million clients. The headquarters are located in Zaragoza and its largest market share is concentrated in the northern half of the peninsula, however it has very strong presence in the whole territory of Spain. The DKV Group also has a presence in Germany, Belgium, Great Britain, Luxembourg, Norway and Sweden, in addition to having representation in China and a project in India. It has more than 7.6 million policyholders.
About DKV health insurance policy
The Spanish health system is in the WHO's top ten ranking of efﬁcient health systems. However, the Spanish National Health System (SNS) has undergone a reform involving co-payments, reduced employees, increased waiting lists, and a frequent collapse of the emergency services.
This situation is increasingly leading to taking out a private health insurance that guarantees quick access without waiting lists at the best centres and with the best specialists. And it is even more necessary when we have children, so we can have access to quality and quick healthcare.
This need becomes more evident when comparing the average waiting times between public and private health.
(Source: Spanish Health Service's Information System for Waiting Lists, December 2019)
- Specialist consultations: 88 days.
- Surgical procedure: 121 days versus 30 days in private health.
DKV Integral, through the prestigious DKV medical directory, offers the best medical specialists and centres in Spain, such as Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Teknon clinic, the Quirón Hospital Group, the Ruber clinic, and more, providing the best private health care in Spain.
Medical Assistance Insurance through DKV
Seguros' medical directory, which includes:
- General medicine: primary care, paediatrics,
nursing services and 24-hour medical
- Medical specialities: Cardiology, dermatology,
neurology, traumatology, gynaecology,
- Diagnostic and therapeutical means:
ultrasounds, magnetic resonances, CAT scans,
radiotherapy, lithotripsy, etc.
- Hospitalisation and surgical procedures.
- People who want to enjoy peace of mind and having available the best associated means for their healthcare – They want the best
- People who travel for personal or professional reasons and want the best healthcare in the event of an emergency – Healthcare anywhere in the world
- Families with children under 15 years of age who want and especially paediatrics, and where both partners work – No waiting periods
- Adults aged 30 to 45, workers with medium-high and high socio-economic status workers, using technology, who travel and have intensive social contact – They want quality
- Adults aged 45 to 65 years, workers, who are concerned about their health and demand professionalism. They require speciﬁc specialists (dermatology, gynaecology, urology, etc.), do not want to wait for a consultation/test and require annual or periodic check-ups – They want peace of mind
- People over 65 who demand respect and friendly care, require many consultations. They want attention
- Speed - the average waiting time in the Spanish Social Security for surgery is 121 days, and for a specialist, 88 days.
- Close attention - allows each person to choose the time that best suits them, with no waiting lists and with access to a greater number of services that are not covered by public healthcare (dental coverage, physiotherapy, a second medical opinion, etc.).
- Time saving - you do not need to go to your family doctor to ask for an appointment with a specialist doctor.
- Choice - the ability to choose the doctor you want to see within the DKV associated medical directory.
- Quality - medical directory with more than 40,000 professionals and 1,000 health centres, such as the Teknon clinic, Quirón, Ruber, Clínica Universidad de Navarra (CUN), etc., without having to pay more for them.
- Online procedures - authorisations, contracting products, making appointments for speciﬁc tests, etc.
- Comfort - private room in the event of hospitalisation with a bed for a companion.
- Digital health - possibility of having video consultations with specialists and general practitioners via telephone, chat or video call.
- Access the best specialists and hospital centres in Spain.
- Avoid waiting lists and get preferential health assistance.
- General and paediatric emergencies, without any hold-ups.
- The ability to choose the specialist doctor or hospital you want to go to.
- Dental coverage included in the policy.
- Avoid trips and save time using the digital health solutions.
- Dental coverage included at no extra cost.
- The best doctors and medical centres: more than 40,000 professionals and 1,000 health centres, such as the Teknon clinic, Quirón, Ruber, Clínica Universidad de Navarra (CUN), etc., without having to pay more for them.
- The best emergency global travel assistance on the market (trips of up to 180 days and with a maximum limit of €20,000).
- Medical assistance for work-related and trafﬁc accidents.
- Compensation for hospitalisation in centres for which DKV is not responsible (€80/day, maximum €2,400).
- Podiatry, physiotherapy and rehabilitation with no limit of sessions.
- No limits on prostheses, except for cardiovascular prostheses, with a limit of €12,000.
- Psychotherapy: 20 sessions/year and 40 for eating disorders, bullying at school, cyber-bullying, occupational stress and gender-based or domestic violence.
- Respiratory rehabilitation. 10 sessions per insured person per year (children under 10 years of age) and 3 sessions per insured person per year (adults and children over 10 years of age).
- Assistance in pregnancy and birth. In addition, 3D/4D ultrasound during pregnancy and non-invasive prenatal genetic screening (fetal DNA) in at-risk pregnancies.
- Hospitalisation with no limit to the number of days (except for psychiatric treatment, max. 60 days/year).
- Reimbursement for the Conservation of Stem Cells from Umbilical Cord Blood –individual modality
- Second medical opinion.
- PET/MRI in oncology.
- Biomechanical gait analysis, an analysis every 5 years in adults and every 2 years in children under the age of 15, at Podoactiva centres with a prescription from a DKV-associated traumatology specialist – individual modality.
- Nutritionist, 20 sessions per year, for the treatment and management of obesity –individual modality.
- Da Vinci robotic surgery for prostate cancer.
- Endopredict - A genomics platform to estimate the risk of breast cancer recurrence and the beneﬁts of the proposed treatment.
- Breast reconstruction following radical surgery or symmetry surgery on the contralateral breast post-mastectomy.
- 3D mammogram.
- Reimbursement abroad for serious diseases1 (80% max. €16,000) –individual modality.
- Optional module of free choice in gynaecology and paediatrics: In addition to being able to choose the desired gynaecologist or paediatrician, we will reimburse you with up to €50/year for the HPV vaccine (human papilloma virus) and the cost of an IUD up to €120/year – individual modality.
- Several preventive programmes: child health, healthy pregnancy and childbirth, coronary risk prevention, women's cancer, prostate and colorectal cancer, stroke and diabetes.
- Cervical cancer prevention programme: includes preventive HPV test.
- Healthcare assistance for HIV/AIDS.
1Severe illness: heart attack, cancer, cerebrovascular disease, organ transplants, paralysis/paraplegia.
Quiero cuidarme Más
- Save time and avoid trips by carrying out video consultations with general practitioners or specialists, receive the electronic prescription on your telephone and go directly to the pharmacy, receive medical results and reports in your health folder, arrange an online appointment and continue monitoring your healthy habits. A platform to access all the digital health services included in your policy:
- Medical directory: To consult your medicaldirectory, make online appointments at multiple afﬁliated centres or ask for virtual consultations with professionals of the medical directory.
- Virtual enquiry: it includes symptom checker and video consultations with general practitioners or specialists (paediatrics, gynaecology, dermatology, traumatology, psychology, endocrinology, allergology, digestive system, cardiology, psychiatry, rheumatology, pain treatment, pulmonology, neurology, angiology, general surgery and otolaryngology).
- Electronic prescription on your phone, so you can go straight to the pharmacy. A prescription and dispensing system approved by the Organización Médica Colegial (OMC) is used.
- Coach: chat with a specialist who will help you to implement lifestyle changes, such as quitting smoking, losing weight or increasing physical activity, among others. Monday through Friday from 9:00 to 20:00.
- Digital midwife: advice via chat during pregnancy and in the ﬁrst 100 days after giving birth to resolve any queries about the care of the newborn, breastfeeding and physical and emotional recovery after childbirth. Monday through Sunday from 7:00 to 23:00.
- Health indicators and challenges: monitor your health indicators, calculate your healthy lifestyle index and sign up to challenges that improve it.
- My diary: with a personal agenda to note down and check medical appointments and other health activities, as well as a history of those already carried out.
- Health folder: Safely receive and store your medical reports, results and other health documents. You will also be receive requests for analytical and imaging tests.
- Connection to Apple Health, Google Fit, Garmin and Fitbit.
- DKV Health And Wellbeing Club, enjoy discounts, prize draws and promotions on health and wellness services and products. Check offers and your bookings from Quiero Cuidarme Más.
- Digital card, you will no longer need to take the physical Medicard with you, because you will have it on your Quiero Cuidarme Más app.
- Information about the second medical opinion service.
- Relatives, where you can manage the relatives included in your policy, minors or authorised persons and use the services available for them.
You can access it from your mobile phone by downloading it from Google Play or App Store.
24-Hour DKV Physician and the widest range of medical specialities on the market: 24-hour paediatrics, childhood obesity, nutrition, pregnancy, conditions affecting women, tropical medicine, sports medicine and psycho-emotional.
Health and Well-being Club
Discounts on hair transplants, presbyopia surgery, quitting smoking, plastic surgery, optics, spas, etc.